Wildlife Tours 2015: to Orkney and beyond…
Hot News! We’re delighted to be working in partnership with the Birdwatching & Wildlife Club of the Grant Arms Hotel in Grantown-on-Spey and offer two new Scottish Highlands & Orkney Islands Tours in 2015 starting on 9 & 30 May 2015. Click here for more details.
For Spanish visitors we are also pleased to announce a collaborative tour with Sierra-Trek of Spain beginning on Saturday 16 May 2015 – click here for details.
For German visitors we are also pleased to announce a collaborative tour with Terra-Unica Reisen of Germany beginning on Monday 25 May 2015 – click here for details.
More Hot News! Full 2015 schedule now available, including Orkneyinga trips to Iceland and Shetland!
Even more Hot News! The Peedie House, our self-catering cottage for couples has been shortlisted for the 2014 Green Tourism Goldstar Awards!
Our 2015 schedule (12th season of operation) is now available and includes tours to Iceland in June and Shetland in July – we’re very proud of our Viking connections! We also have a new venture in partnership with the Birdwatching & Wildlife Club of the Grant Arms Hotel in Grantown-on-Spey blending the Scottish Highlands with the Orkney Islands – with departures from Inverness on 9 May and 30 May 2015. Group size is one of our strengths, always between 4 and 8 only (10 in Iceland). Our ‘traditional’ Orkney Wildlife and Archaeology tours are of course also still available. To view our schedule please click here. Please look at our testimonials to the right of the page or check out our Trip Advisor page – we offer relaxed, tailor-made wildlife and activity holidays for small groups of people. Prices are all-inclusive of accommodation, transport within Orkney (or elsewhere), meals and guiding, and may be found on the ‘Wildlife Tours Availability‘ tab.
Over the last decade an exciting archaeological dig has been taking place at the Ness of Brodgar in West Mainland, in the Heart of Neolithic Orkney. This site has been the subject of a TV documentary by Neil Oliver, and has contributed much to our knowledge of the Neolithic peoples and their lifestyle. If you wish to learn more, read this excellent piece done by Roff Smith for the National Geographic – for visual click here; for the feature article click here.
What makes a holiday in Orkney with Orcadian Wildlife different?
We like to pride ourselves on no two days ever being the same. Orkney’s shifting skies and seas help, as does the weather – frequently all four seasons in one day. So it’s best to bring your waterproof jacket and trousers, and your boots. Wildlife doesn’t stop for the weather and neither do we (unless with your agreement!).
Wildlife, walking, photography and of course Orkney’s superb 5,000 year old Neolithic (new stone age) sites always feature in our itineraries.
- We keep groups small (max 8 guests only) on purpose in order to enable you to see more – you will see lots of memorable sights with us, whatever the time of year. We specialise in a blend of wildlife and culture.
- We listen to you carefully about exactly what you’d like to see and where you would like to go – there are no sites on set days. Visiting islands is included and great fun – it’s one reason why we’re here!
- We actually live here (unlike most tour groups who visit) and so we know more about daily life in Orkney.
- Our holidays are all-inclusive, so that all you have to do is get here, and we do all the rest.
- We’re proud of our approach to the environment: a very small group; an organic lifestyle; Green Tourism Business Scheme gold award for our self-catering; and a generator of renewable energy to help offset your carbon footprint.
- We encourage repeat visits (Orkney gets a grip of you…) and returning guests benefit from large discounts.
- Last – but most important – we really look after you! See the many testimonials on our website from our guests who have appreciated our relaxed style over the last 12 years.
Orkney is one of the best places in Britain to get close to and enjoy seabirds, birds of prey and whales & dolphins (cetaceans).
There is always something special to see at any time of the year, from sky dancing hen harriers, to hunting orcas, and migrant birds.
Download the 2014 Orkney Tourist Brochure
Download our Orcadian Wildlife Tours Leaflet
Please visit the Orcadian Wildlife Facebook page for up-to-the-minute sightings and other current Orkney daily blog-type content: http://facebook.com/orcadianwildlife
See some short videos of seabirds by clicking on this You Tube link:
Self Catering Holiday
If self-catering is more your style we’re delighted to announce that that our Peedie House self-catering was given a GOLD Green Tourism Business Scheme award, a reward for all our hard work! In addition, the Peedie House was shortlisted for the Green Tourism Business Scheme Goldstar Awards in 2012 and 2014. The shortlist is compiled from the highest scoring Gold graded businesses from 2011 and 2013 representing the greenest 2% of the total 2,400 GTBS membership. See our Self Catering Holidays pages for more information.
Please note that bookings for 2015 are already strong, with good availability still for July and August, but limited now in May and June.
Please book or enquire through the ‘self-catering’ section.
For a flavour of what Orkney has to offer the holidaymaker have a look at our Orkney Photo Album