The Peedie House is an old stone byre which has been modernised and converted into 4 star self-catering accommodation for couples. It was built in the mid twentieth century with dry-stane walling techniques to store tatties (potatoes) and neeps (swedes). The Peedie House has been designed and constructed to enable full disabled access, and to high green tourism standards:
- Visit Scotland 4 star self-catering award.
- Green Tourism Business Scheme GOLD award. For further details see www.green-business.co.uk
- Free wifi at 10mbs+ which is fast for Orkney.
- Full disabled access provision (see Access Statement below).
- Solar powered water heating, full roof and wall insulation, and under-floor heating.
- 100% guaranteed renewable energy used for its electric supply, either self-generated (click renewables for further information) or supplied by Good Energy. For further details see www.goodenergy.co.uk
- Free Electric Vehicle charger available for guests – there is also a good EV charger network in Orkney.
- Large conservatory, double bedroom, bathroom with shower and 1st class kitchen facilities.
- Walkers and cyclists welcome.
As an integral part of our Orcadian Wildlife and Gerraquoy Organic Farm businesses we are also pleased to offer:
- Excellent knowledge of Orkney’s wildlife and 5,000 year old neolithic sites.
- Day or half-day tours with Orcadian Wildlife at preferential rates, our schedule permitting.
- Organic beef for sale produced on the farm from our small herd of native Shetland cattle (why not take a pack back home for your freezer) – click here to download a beef order pro-forma.
- (Very!) free-range eggs produced on the farm by our black rock chickens.
To check availability on the Peedie House Availability page and then booking enquiry via our Peedie House Booking Enquiry page. We always reply within 2 working days maximum. Note that changeover day is Saturday, and short break availability is unlikely during the main season.
With apologies to dog owners we do not permit dogs or pets in the property because of the livestock nearby. The decor in the Peedie House is not suitable for pets. We are however happy to welcome Assistance Dogs.
2019 prices are £400 per week April and October, £450 per week mid May – September inclusive.
Access Statement: The Peedie House has been built to conform to wheelchair-access standards, and is a small property all on one level. We recognise however that you may have specific needs, and we are happy to try and accommodate these if we can. Assistance Dogs, for example, are welcome to accompany their owners. Please contact us to discuss your specific needs and we’ll see if we can help you.
Visitors in the ‘darker’ months of April and October might get lucky and see the ‘Merry Dancers’ or the Northern Lights (Aurora Borealis) – the picture below shows the Peedie House in the foreground (taken 27 February 2014).